PTC Systems Grants under the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) Program (FY 2018)
Overview: These grants will fund the deployment of PTC system technology for intercity passenger rail transportation, freight rail transportation, and/or commuter rail passenger transportation. See the May 18, 2018 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and September 12, 2018 Notice of Funding Opportunity NOFO for more information.
PTC system funding was authorized under Section 11301 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Public Law 114-94 (2015), 49 U.S.C. 24407; and funded in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Div. L, Title I, Public Law 115-141 (2018 Appropriation).
Amount: $250,000,000, where:
- Projects totaling $203,698,298 were selected under the May 18, 2018 NOFO.
- Projects totaling $46,301,702 in remaining grant funding were selected under the September 12, 2018 NOFO.
Projects that deploy PTC systems technology for intercity passenger rail transportation, freight rail transportation, and/or commuter rail passenger transportation include:
- Back office systems;
- Wayside, communications, and onboard hardware equipment;
- Equipment installation;
- Any component, testing, and training for the implementation of PTC systems; and
Maintenance and operating expenses incurred after a PTC system is placed in revenue service are ineligible.
- A State;
- A group of States;
- An Interstate Compact;
- A public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
- A political subdivision of a State;
- Amtrak or another Rail Carrier that provides Intercity Rail Passenger Transportation (as defined in 49 U.S.C. § 24102);
- A Class II railroad or Class III railroad (as defined in 49 U.S.C. § 20102);
- Any Rail Carrier or rail equipment manufacturer in partnership with at least one of the entities described in 1-5 above;
- The Transportation Research Board together with any entity with which it contracts in the development of rail-related research, including cooperative research programs;
- A University transportation center engaged in rail-related research; or
- A non-profit labor organization representing a class or craft of employees of Rail Carriers or Rail Carrier contractors.