The FRA eLibrary contains all the documents that are found throughout the FRA Public Website. Multiple pages on the website may link to the same eLibrary item based on its set of metatdata.
Can I find All FRA Documents in the Library?
Some "documents" may not appear here for the following reasons:
- Document resides on an external site for the record of source, links to the document are provided in context but not in the library as FRA does not maintain this record. This document lives on another website.
- Document has not yet been assigned keywords.
- Document is historical and has been removed from library to avoid confusion with current publications.
- Document is public affairs & policy related, such as press releases, speeches, testimony, or fact sheet. These press-related documents can now be found in the FRA Newsroom.
- Document is related to rules and notices. This information can now be found on the Rulemakings search and the Notices search, respectively.
Start Time Variability and Predictability in Railroad Train and Engine Freight and Passenger Service Employees
Keywords: Work schedules, start time variability, fatigue, train and engine service, accident probability, FAST
Abstract: Start time variability in work schedules is often hypothesized to be a cause of railroad employee fatigue because unpredictable work start times prevent employees from planning...
Characterization of Locomotive Engineer Schedules
Keywords: Characterization of Locomotive Engineer Schedules; work
Criteria and procedures for validating biomathematical models of human performance and fatigue: Procedures for analysis of work schedules
Keywords: human factors; fatigue; work schedules; performance; biomathematical
Fatigue Status of the U.S. Railroad Industry
Keywords: Fatigue, work schedule, sleep pattern, sleep disorder, alertness, shiftwork, hours of service, split assignment, extra board
Abstract: This report draws on the results of several prior studies, all conducted with similar methodology, to characterize the prevalence of employee fatigue in the U.S. railroad industry...
Work schedules, sleep, fatigue, and accidents in the US railroad industry
Keywords: fatigue; sleep; accidents; work schedules; railroads