The FRA eLibrary contains all the documents that are found throughout the FRA Public Website. Multiple pages on the website may link to the same eLibrary item based on its set of metatdata.
Can I find All FRA Documents in the Library?
Some "documents" may not appear here for the following reasons:
- Document resides on an external site for the record of source, links to the document are provided in context but not in the library as FRA does not maintain this record. This document lives on another website.
- Document has not yet been assigned keywords.
- Document is historical and has been removed from library to avoid confusion with current publications.
- Document is public affairs & policy related, such as press releases, speeches, testimony, or fact sheet. These press-related documents can now be found in the FRA Newsroom.
- Document is related to rules and notices. This information can now be found on the Rulemakings search and the Notices search, respectively.
Rail Base Corrosion and Cracking Prevention: Phase 2
Keywords: Corrosion, rail, rail base corrosion, coatings, corrosion testing, premature rail failure
Abstract: In March 2014, EWI was engaged by the Federal Railroad Administration to research rail treatments to prevent rail base corrosion in corrosive environments. A coating system was...
Monitoring Longitudinal Rail Stress Using Diffuse Ultrasonic Backscatter
Keywords: stress in rail; ultrasonic transducers; ultrasound scattering; theoretical model of the scattering process; prototype devices for stress estimations in rail; laboratory and field tests
Abstract: In this report, research was conducted at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln pertaining to the use of ultrasound scattering from polycrystalline grains to estimate and monitor...
Evaluation of the Federal Railroad Administration’s Autonomous Track Geometry Measurement System Research and Development Program
Keywords: Evaluation, program review, needs assessment, funding, decision making
Abstract: This report evaluates the Autonomous Track Geometry Measurement System (ATGMS). It examines: 1) the extent of ATGMS usage, 2) what railroads think of ATGMS, 3) why ATGMS is not...
Quantification of the Sensitivity of Two Prevalent Track Inspection Systems
Keywords: Track inspection, inspection systems, inspection methodologies, optimal inspection, risk-based inspection, signal detection theory
Abstract: This report uses signal detection theory to quantify the sensitivity of two common track inspection systems (manual visual inspection via a hi-rail vehicle and automated track...
Weld Repair of Manganese Frogs for Enhanced Performance
Keywords: Reciprocating wire feed, constant voltage, Flux-Cored Arc Welding, heat-affected zone, radiographic testing, Shielded Metal Arc Welding, ultimate tensile strength, yield strength.
Abstract: When special trackwork contact surfaces (such as manganese-steel turnout frogs) become worn and damaged, they can be repaired to extend their lifetime, but current repair...
When special trackwork contact surfaces (such as manganese-steel turnout frogs) become worn and damaged, they can be repaired to extend their lifetime, but current repair...