The FRA eLibrary contains all the documents that are found throughout the FRA Public Website. Multiple pages on the website may link to the same eLibrary item based on its set of metatdata.
Can I find All FRA Documents in the Library?
Some "documents" may not appear here for the following reasons:
- Document resides on an external site for the record of source, links to the document are provided in context but not in the library as FRA does not maintain this record. This document lives on another website.
- Document has not yet been assigned keywords.
- Document is historical and has been removed from library to avoid confusion with current publications.
- Document is public affairs & policy related, such as press releases, speeches, testimony, or fact sheet. These press-related documents can now be found in the FRA Newsroom.
- Document is related to rules and notices. This information can now be found on the Rulemakings search and the Notices search, respectively.
Human Error Potential in Human-Automation Interaction: Investigations of Performance in the Locomotive Cab
Keywords: HF; Operator Performance; human performance; Cab Technology Integration Lab; CTIL; simulation; simulator; human-in-the-loop; PTC; Trip Optimizer; TO; workload
Abstract: The study was a simulator-based human-in-the-loop investigation of human-automation interaction, specifically with Positive Train Control (PTC) and Trip Optimizer (TO) systems...
The study was a simulator-based human-in-the-loop investigation of human-automation interaction, specifically with Positive Train Control (PTC) and Trip Optimizer (TO) systems...
U.S. Government Grade Crossing Research & Stakeholder Engagement
Keywords: Crossing Research, Stakeholder Engagement, ILCAD 2019, Engineering, Innovation
Keywords: Accident, Railroad Crossings, UP, Union Pacific, Grade Crossing
Abstract: On June 16, 2018, at 5:29 p.m., CST, a Union Pacific Railroad (UP) freight train (ZG4MQB 16) with 3 engines and 73 cars traveling timetable south (geographical south) collided...
Moving Map Displays: Using CTIL and Eye-Tracking Technologies to Measure Operator Glance Durations and Performance in Locomotive Cabs
Keywords: CTIL; CTILWEB; Automation; Distraction; Human-Error; Eye-tracking; Moving Map; iPad;
Abstract: Distraction is a growing problem in the cabs of modern locomotives. The 2008 commuter train collision at Chatsworth, CA resulting in 28 fatalities, points to the dangers of...
The Cab Technology Integration Lab: A Locomotive Simulator for Human Factors Research
Keywords: CTIL; CTILWEB; Safety; Research; Automation; Human-in-the-loop Testing; Human Factors Research; Human-computer interaction
Abstract: The paper describes a new human factors research capability for the US Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)—The Cab Technology Integration Laboratory (CTIL). The FRA sponsored...